Every week we make a meal plan for the week ahead. The plan accounts for 5 breakfasts, 4 lunches (plus fruit or vegetables), 4 snacks, and 5 dinners each for the two of us. Lunches are typically a double batch of whatever the recipe calls for. We make the lunches and do other prep work on Sunday. Nearly all items are purchased from either our local farmers market or Whole Foods. We live in Cincinnati, OH.
December 27-January 1
It feels VERY strange to write January on this post, and to know that it means 2016. CRAZY.
We spent last week back and forth between Memphis, my home town, and Nashville, the home of our hearts. It was a perfect trip, full of great food, friends, family, and presents (yay!). We were beyond excited to find that Nashville finally has its very own L&L, a classic hawaiian restaurant chain, and you better believe we stuffed ourselves with spam musubi, mac salad, chicken katsu, and whatever else we could fit in. We’re already scheming about a return trip.
The week before we left was a little more busy than anticipated, as so many holiday weeks are, so two meals got carried over into this week. We also just needed one less dinner because of when we got back in town, so only 4 recipes made the cut this week. This works out well, since we’re out of quite a few pantry staples, and those can really add to the costs for the week!
I will not apologize for making cured egg yolks yet again. Can’t stop, won’t stop.
- Steel cut oats with bananas
- Creamy ginger green smoothie
- Dal nirvana– with coconut milk. Might try it in the pressure cooker
- Carrot coconut soup
- Cured egg yolks with ground pork and coconut sushi rice from this recipe
- Spicy cumin lamb hand smashed noodles with quick pickled cucumbers. If you’ve never made this dish, just make sure to cut way back on the cayenne. We LOVE spicy food, but go with half or less of what’s called for.