Every week we make a meal plan for the week ahead. The plan accounts for 5 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 snacks, and 5 dinners for the two of us. Lunch ideas are typically a double batch of whatever the recipe calls for. I make the lunches and do other various prep work on Sunday. Nearly all items are purchased from either our local farmers market or Whole Foods. We are currently living in New York City, so things are more expensive than average.
May 25- May 31-
Total cost: $133 (Sadly had to buy more maple syrup this week. Always a nice $20 gouge. Ouch.)
Average cost per meal per person, with snacks tucked into the mix: $4.75
- Fruit smoothies with homemade coconut milk, frozen banana, an avocado, and assorted frozen fruit
- Best granola using dates and apricots. Serve with yogurt and sliced bananas.
- Lemon scented quinoa salad– cook quinoa in rice cooker. cook chickpeas. add roasted asparagus, leave out onion. Apple for dessert
- Cocoa coconut bits– Josh’s specialty
- Pizza– 22 hour version, with homemade pizza sauce, mozzarella, and marinated artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes from the Whole Foods antipasti bar
- Trader Joe’s frozen meal with rice (trying to clear out the freezer a little)
- Bacon and egg ramen– with sautéed mushrooms, homemade chicken broth, and double the noodles
- Lamb chops and roasted leeks and asparagus (free style)