I kind of think of this salad as the “choose your own adventure” salad. The basic formula can be altered to suit our mood or the season easily, but it’s always delicious. We got the inspiration from this post, and it has quickly become a favorite. I love that each bite can be so different, depending on which of the elements I combine on my fork. Plus, I love how bright and fresh it looks! No sad desk lunch here.
Here’s our basic formula, with our choices this week:
- One batch of hummus, typically roasted red pepper and paprika hummus
- 1 batch of roasted chopped vegetables (squash, zucchini, and carrots this round), tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever spices you choose (smoked paprika!), roasted at 375 for 20-30 minutes
- 1 batch of quinoa, cooked using this method, with salt, lemon zest, and dried herbs added before cooking, then tossed well in lemon juice and olive oil after cooking
- 1 handful of arugula, dressed lightly with lemon juice
- 1 handful of marinated olives and roasted tomatoes from the Whole Foods olive bar
Feel free to switch things out as much as you’d like! There really is no going wrong here.